Children Under 16:
Meredith cares about protecting the privacy of children. We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 16. Our Services are not intended for children under the age of 16, and children under the age of 16 should not use or register for our Services. If you are a parent or guardian and believe we have collected any information from your child, please email us at [email protected]. We encourage you to become involved in your children’s online experience and to share your knowledge and experience with your young ones.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
- Web pages, content and advertisements you view and links you click on while navigating within our Services;
- Information about your interactions with our content, including video or audio content, such as the type of content accessed via our Services;
- Information about your interactions with our email messages, such as the links you click on and whether you open or forward a message, the date and time of these interactions and the device you use to read emails;
- The site you visited before visiting a Meredith website and the site you visited after visiting a Meredith website;
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address (a numerical address assigned to your device by your Internet service provider so that other devices connected to the Internet can communicate with you online) that can sometimes be used to derive your general geographic area;
- Search terms you enter using our Services or on a referral site;
- Unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers, that can identify the physical location of devices in accordance with applicable law;
- Your device type, screen size, browser type, language and other settings, memory capacity, plug-ins, Internet domain, TCP configuration parameters, operating system, carrier code, time zone and the names, versions and package IDs of software installed on your device;
- Standard server log information; and
- Information collected through cookies, web beacons and other tracking technologies (see additional descriptions of these terms below).
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Like most website and mobile application operators, we, our service providers or other third parties acting on our behalf or with our permission, use embedded scripts, “cookies,” web beacons, device identifiers and other tracking technologies to operate, analyze, improve and protect the security of our Services and tailor content and advertising to user interests. Third-party companies that provide some of the tools and features accessible through our Services and advertisers and other companies involved in the delivery of advertisements you see on our Servicesand other websites also may use tracking technologies to collect information about your use of our Services.
How We Use The Information We Collect:
Our primary goal in collecting information is to provide you with a customized experience when using our Services and to make them more valuable to you. We and our authorized service providers use information that we or they collect about you, including personal data, for our legitimate interests, including to:
- Analyze, operate and improve our Services, and fulfill your requests for products, services, and information, including to send you email and electronic newsletters you have requested;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, information regarding changes to our policies, and support and administrative messages;
- Prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities, comply with applicable law and enforce our Terms of Service Agreement;
- Enable you to participate in features such as surveys, polls, sweepstakes, and message boards;
- Save and remember any preferences that you set while visiting one of our Services;
- Customize the content you see when you use our Services and other services as you navigate online;
- Attribute content that you post to forums we operate on our Services;
- Conduct market or audience analysis and related reporting;
- Measure and analyze visitor traffic and usage patterns and improve the quality and effectiveness of our content, features, advertisements, and other communications;
- Analyze how subscribers interact with our email messages and click on links contained within those messages;
- Provide you with special offers, promotions, and information from companies within our corporate family; and
- Display, develop, and deliver direct marketing.
We only use payment and identity verification information as necessary to complete a particular transaction, provide a requested service, enforce legal rights or comply with applicable law.
Because our Services are supported by advertising, we also use the information we collect to help us and advertisers efficiently reach consumers who are most likely to be interested in particular products and services. We use this information based on the consent you provide, such as if you visit our websites and consent to us processing your personal data to serve you with personalized ads. In addition, information about you, including your personal data, is used with your consent, including to:
- Recognize the same users as they access online or mobile services using multiple browsers or devices and deliver to them appropriate interest-based content and advertising;
- Provide you with special offers, promotions and information from select third parties in accordance with applicable law;
- Tailor advertising to your interests, including advertising that you see on our Services, advertising you see on third-party websites, mobile applications and email programs, and offers and advertising you may receive offline or as push-notifications, from us or others; and
- Fulfill any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information and pursuant to your consent.
You always have the choice (now and in the future) to avoid personalized advertising based on your web browsing activity by visiting the DAA’s Consumer Choice page, the NAI’s website, and/or the EU online choices page, from each of your browsers or devices. For more information, see “Interest-Based Advertising.”
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where we send your data
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
How We Disclose Information and Your Related Opt-out Choices:
Except as otherwise expressly noted herein or within the Services, we share any information collected through our Services, including without limitation, personal data such as your name, postal address (and any other information we combine with that information) with our Meredith-affiliated companies, our provider partners and service providers, and with carefully selected third-party organizations and marketers of products and services potentially of interest to you. The following describes some of the circumstances in which we share information about our users:
If we have consent if and to the extent required by law, we share our users’ email addresses with service providers that send email messages and deliver targeted advertising on our behalf. These service providers collect data about how you interact with those messages (including information about whether and when you opened a particular message or clicked on a link within a message and the device you used to do so) and analyze it in conjunction with similar information they collect when you respond to emails they send on behalf of their other clients who are not affiliated with us. They use this email response information in combination with your email address to target and optimize the delivery of emails and email advertising they send on our behalf and for their other clients. We may also provide our service providers with lists of our user email addresses in a hashed or otherwise encrypted form that they use to recognize our users as they navigate online or use third-party email services and enable the delivery of interest-based advertising to those users. We prohibit our service providers from sharing your email address with their other clients.
If you use our Services to sign up for special email offers from third-party advertisers, we will also share your email address and any other information you provided with your request with the advertisers you selected. Except as described in this policy, we will not sell or rent your email address to unaffiliated third parties for their email marketing purposes, without your consent.
If, during or immediately following registration, you choose to access offers for goods or services that are available from selected third-party companies (“Co-Registration Vendors”), we may make certain contact and demographic information you provide (e.g., name, age, and/or email address) available to these vendors with your consent.
Provider Partners and Affiliates.
Over time, we may reorganize or transfer various assets and lines of business. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated herein or on our Services, we reserve the right to disclose or transfer any information we collect, including personal data, to third parties in connection with any proposed or actual purchase, sale, lease, merger, foreclosure, liquidation, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer, conveyance or financing of all or any portion of Meredith or our affiliates.
Information Disclosed with Your Consent.
We also share your information, including personal data, for any other purpose disclosed to you and with your consent.
Information You Post to Blogs, Discussion Forums and Community or Social Networking Areas.
Keep in mind that any information that you choose to post to blogs, discussion forums, or other community or social networking services that we offer can be seen, collected and used by anyone who has access to the applicable service. We cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of such information.
Aggregated Information and Information that Does Not Identify You.
We and our service providers may combine information about you with information that we or they collect about other users of our Services and share it in a form that does not identify you personally. We and our service providers may also de-identify information by removing any information that makes the information personally identifying to you. We may use aggregated information or information that does not identify you and disclose it to third parties as we deem appropriate.
Your Opt-Out Choices:
To remove your name and postal address from lists that we sell or rent to third parties for their direct marketing purposes, or to opt-out of receiving marketing offers for other Meredith magazines and products by mail, please use the opt-out form or send your request to us in a letter addressed to Meredith Corporation, Opt-Out Postal, Attn: Circulation, 1716 Locust Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309. Please note that if you choose to opt-out of Meredith’s promotional mailings, you may still receive renewal notices and related offers for any magazines to which you still subscribe.
You can opt-out from any Meredith email newsletter or commercial email list and prevent the collection of related email response information by our email service providers by using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of each message, visiting the Email Preferences page on our sites and updating your preferences, or sending an email to [email protected] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject field of the email. Please note that you cannot opt-out of non-promotional emails from us, such as those about your account, transactions, servicing, or our ongoing business relations.
If you no longer want to receive third-party email offers that you requested through our Services, simply follow the advertiser’s unsubscribe link or opt-out instructions that should be included in every commercial message you receive from them. If you wish to disable web beacons in our email messages, turn images “off” in your email client (e.g., Outlook or Outlook Express) as available. Please refer to the settings or options menu in your email client for more information.
Google, Adobe, and Salesforce DMP are some of the third parties we engage to track and analyze usage and browsing patterns of our users. For information about Google Analytics’ information practices and related opt-out choices, For information about Adobe’s information collection practices and related opt-out choices, For information about Salesforce DMP’s information collection practices and related opt-out choices,
How to Correct or Update Your Information:
We provide you with the ability to access and edit certain information that you have provided to us through our Services. To update this information, please use this form to request personal data export or erasure